We are extremely disturbed with the growing trend of all male panels or "manels"
This is despite the Beijing Conference in 1995 where several governments were party to an undertaking that they would increase representation of women in all levels of politics as well as increase efforts to stop all forms of discrimination against women, we still find that 20 years later in 2015, we have many “manels”.
COP21 was poorly represented by women and we continue to see it at every level be it global, national or regional. Often the response is, we don’t have women at a senior level. But that is an excuse and if we don’t make a start at some point, 20 years from now we will still have all “manels”.
A rather hilarious but disturbing take on this is: http://allmalepanels.tumblr.com/. The memes highlight chronic & missing female representation in panels even on topics about women.
So here is our effort to make a public list of all women who are available to speak at conferences. This will enable us to call out organisers who have all male panels and question the lack of female representation at the event. It will also allow organisers to access a list of women experts so that there is no excuse for "manels".
This is a crowdsourced effort and is possible only with your support. Here is how YOU can help-
1. Nominate yourself by providing complete details by clicking the PLUS sign on https://womenspeakers.ushahidi.io/views/map
2. Know someone who is available, please nominate them. But before that check with them for availability and get them to commit
3. Spread the message by sharing on Social Media and ensuring this reaches every woman deserving and capable to speak and help change the balance in "Manels".
4. If you have any feedback on the form and/or would like to help, please email: email@example.com
5. For detailed FAQs please visit https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u_TaDeCWlUe-spuOq12dJpIymOpTvPsxgmKDfGpwAZA/edit?usp=sharing
This is an initiative by
ElsaMarie D’Silva (@elsamariedsilva)
Esther Ngumbi (@EstherNgumbi)
Monica Jasuja (@jasuja)